How Long Does Alcohol Stay In Your Urine?

On average the body can eliminate 0.015% BAC per hour, so depending on the person and type of alcohol, they may have a BAC of 0.02% – 0.03% at a rate of 1 drink per hour. That means, the body can take one to two hours to metabolize the alcohol consumed in that hour. If you have two glasses of wine with dinner, it could take up to six hours for you to fully break down the alcohol, depending on the variables listed above. Even if you’re coming off a history of moderate drinking, detox treatment gives you a better chance of making it through the detox stage and preventing relapse.


A common way to dehow to get alcohol out of systemine an individual’s drinking impairment is by measuring their body alcohol content . This rough calculation is based off of how much alcohol an individual has consumed per hour, their body weight, gender, genetics, and other factors. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention , a “standard” drink by these measurements has around 0.6 ounces of alcohol. Sunshine Behavioral Health strives to help people who are facing substance abuse, addiction, mental health disorders, or a combination of these conditions. It does this by providing compassionate care and evidence-based content that addresses health, treatment, and recovery. In addition, like healthy eating, exercise not only speeds up alcohol metabolism but also decreases alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

How long does it take your body to remove the alcohol?

Abusing alcohol can even make one sick, as it stops the production of white blood cells for 24 hours. Within less than 60 minutes after consumption, urine can be tested. Some tests are super sensitive and can detect alcohol in urine for a period of as long as 80 hours. Sadly, many will continue to drink while still feeling the effects of booze from the night before.

  • As a result, women are more susceptible to long-term body damage from alcohol abuse.
  • I’ve told you about how alcohol is processed in your body, how long it can stay in your system, and the effects it has on your body.
  • About 20 percent is absorbed into the bloodstream through the stomach.
  • In fact, if you notice that you’re sweating while drinking, this is just your body’s reaction to the toxins hitting your system.
  • The amount of water in the body also goes down with age, contributing to a higher BAC.
  • EtG tests may be positive in people who don’t drink but use something that contains alcohol, such as mouthwash.

Most surprising of all, alcohol can be found in hair strands for as long as 90 days after the last drink. When you’re trying to flush the alcohol out of your system, you must be honest with yourself. While having a couple of extra drinks one night is fair-game, recognizing that you have a drinking problem is a very different situation. Our body is so marvelous that it can help us flush out alcohol through sweating, breathing, and urinating. The rest of the contents go through the liver, which starts the detoxifying process. Breath tests and saliva tests can detect alcohol in breath 12 to 24 hours after the last drink.

How long can tests detect alcohol in the body?

Even if both have the same weight and height, men’s bodies will dilute alcohol faster than women’s. Compared to traditional urine testing, EtG tests are usually more reliable. That is why rehab programs like La Hacienda use this testing method. Generally, it takes approximately one hour to metabolize one drink. However, when it comes to how long alcohol can be detected in the body, several factors are at play, including the alcohol test used. This is due to normalage-related changesin their bodies, including a slowing metabolism, loss of muscle tissue and decrease in water weight.

However, about five half-lives are required to fully eliminate alcohol from one’s body. Hence, it will take about 25 hours for your body to clear all the alcohol. Research indicates that 90% of alcohol in the body is eliminated by the liver. While it is a complicated process, your liver essentially does this in two phases.

Health Essentials

While euphoric effects usually happen between 0.02 and 0.05 BAC, hitting around 0.07 results in a worse mood. The liver can break down 90% to 95% of alcohol, while the other 5% to 10% is eliminated in several ways, including through sweat, urine, and the lungs. However, EtG and EtS tests are not commonly utilized to replace traditional urine screening because they’re more expensive and can’t identify the amount of alcohol consumed. Whether you want to socialize, escape problems, or celebrate a milestone, there are many instances wherein one might consume alcohol. However, for a number of reasons, you may want to know just how long alcohol stays in urine. Ethyl glucuronide alcohol testsare a newer form of urine test for alcohol.